Monday, September 20, 2010

{Spiritual Uplift}

I had the opportunity to attend a "women's conference" called Time Out for Women this past weekend. Its sponsored by Deseret Book and features many Authors and Artists as speakers and performers that you would find in their stores. It was fun. Really fun. I kind of, sort of, maybeish...wanted to just stay home. Something about driving turns me off to fun things. BUT it was worth every hour in the car, all the late nights/early mornings, and leaving Devin and Jonas to fend for themselves.
The conference was in Connecticut, where Devin's brother and his family live...so we stayed with them. Actually it was my sister-in-law, Loni's, brilliant idea to invite me. :) We had tons of fun together. We laughed, we cried, we argued like sisters should, and we left better women with stronger testimonies and greater desires to seek for the good in life and to find Hope in all things. I can't wait for next time!


Here is what I learned:

Sister Virginia Hinckley Pearce is indeed an awesome fill-in for Sister Sheri Dew (who couldn't make it last minute). She taught me not to compare myself to others. She also said that the number one way to have a successful marriage is to lower your expectations. (She was quoting her own mother on that one..but it was hilarious!)


I learned that Jenny Oaks Baker is not only gorgeous and talented, but so nice, and actually lives in the DC area. I feel a friendship starting :)

From Mary Ellen Edmunds, I learned this...
"When everything else says you can't, believe in the part of you that says you can."
Amazing right? She was hilarious...and humbling...and hilarious.

From Mariama Kallon I learned that no one should have to live a life like she did. But I also learned that because of the life she lived and the things she saw, her desire to know her Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ is like no other desire she had ever had. She called the scriptures her therapist. I loved that.

I learned that even though no outside food was allowed, treats were a must after a late night and an early morning. Those DOTS kept us all awake!

I learned that not only is Hillary Weeks beautiful, she is kind, genuine, and has a very strong testimony of God. She was my favorite part of the whole weekend. I love her!

I was like a tongue tied teenager when we saw her. I didn't know what to say to her. But she was sweet, and started the conversation as if we were old friends.

Most of all I learned that the ultimate reason for life is to have Hope. Have hope in your future, in your family, in your God, in everything.


Thanks to my sweet husband and patient little boy who let me have a weekend just for me. Thanks to Destry for putting up with them. Thanks to the girls we traveled with, especially Judy..who treats me like I am one of hers. And a big, Big, BIG thanks to Loni. I needed this, WE needed this. Sisters Forever. KERPLOP!!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

How great! I have always wanted to go to this. Sounds like a wonderful time!

ConnecticutUre's said...

This was so much fun!!!! Indeed it was one of the best weekends I have had in a very long time. SO many wonderful things that we learned and relearned, fantabulous!!! And kerplop to you too!!!

Nat and Chad said...

I.LOVE.Time out for women! It is the greatest thing on earth! I wish they had it monthly because I need it!I missed mary ellen edmunds this year. she was in logan last year and I think I peed my pants a little. she's hysterical. and I want to play the violin just like jenny oaks baker! Someday! Guess I should practice! Miss you guys!

Lindsay said...

Oh I wish I could've been there eating treats with you:) Remember when we went to general conference totally prepared with snacks. I've given my kids plenty of time outs, but never had one for myself....I should go it sounds awesome!

The Mashy Family said...

Lucky girl to have been there!! I love Hillary Weeks I probably would have stood there and just stared at her!! So uplifting, Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Kari Pierson said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I think I'll try and make the one in Logan next time.

The Burrough 7 said...

aww! Thanks for sharing this! I love all the pictures and how you recapped everything.

and I feel the same way about the driving thing. I hate being stuck in a car!

Miss you!

The Holmgrens said...

Cool! I wish I lived by you... I want to be your friend and smuggle Dots :)