Tuesday, October 12, 2010

{Change}

Remember back when Jonas started the Infants and Toddlers Program? His lack of communication combined with a few other behaviors forced us to look a little deeper at this handsome boy. Although he has yet to be officially diagnosed, Mr. Jonas has a form of Autism. While we're not sure where he is on the spectrum, we do know he has a lot of tendencies that Autistic Children present. It was a lot to think about at first. Sad for our little boy. Worried that he may never be able to SAY what he wants, or ask a question about something he doesn't know. And the fact that Autism is so broad, so grey, so...not organized like me. It was rough. It is rough. There are days I kind of want to throw the towel in and say...WHAT?? What do you want Jonas? TELL ME!
BUT...
We got Jonas into a great program called CSAAC. Its for kids with all kinds of disabilities. They have a wonderful Autism program. Jonas was accepted, and we started school a week ago. Its going great. They come to our house 10 hours a week (or basically 2 hours a day). They work with Jonas. They play with Jonas. They (at times) treat him better than I do! He has really taken very well to them. He listens better, he plays with toys for longer, and he points to himself when you ask him "where's Jonas?" That's my favorite new thing so far. So we're on our learning journey with Mr. J. It's bound to be a great one. He's a sweet, loving, special boy, and we're so glad he's ours.
School has brought about some new changes....such as:
New Shoes! They are adorable hiking boots (or hunting boots) with orthotics to help him walk on his feet and not his toes. We learned he does have a condition with his foot where his heel cords are tight and force him up on his toes because its more comfortable. He loves the shoes and wears them all the time he is awake. He's been very patient with us about wearing them. He should be starting Physical Therapy in the next month or so.

He really likes them on the playground because he can climb the slides like a mad man. They also give him better balance so he runs better, and even goes across the bridge on the playground by himself now.

All in all, he's pretty proud of himself. We're proud of him too. He's doing very well with school and with enough effort and time, he will do great in anything and everything he does! We love you Bean!!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a sweet little guy. I do love the new shoes! I know you are an awesome mom and how great you are getting him help he needs. Hang in there cute mamma!
Love you!

Tasha said...

He is so cute & all your posts make him sound like such a sweet little guy! I'm glad you got into this program! Good Luck with everything!

Aleese and Scott said...

Oh Nicole we love Jonas so much!! He is just the sweetest thing and you are an amazing mom and second mom to my three little ones! I LOVE the picture at the park with his shorts and boots on; that picture totally defines Jojo. I could just eat him up!!

The Burrough 7 said...

Wow! What a tough thing to handle but you are strong and Jonas is such a sweet little boy. I have 2 cousins (sisters) who each have 2 kids of their own...all four kids have SID (sensory integration disorder) which is on the Autism side. Each of them have different levels of it. All of them stand by the therapy and I have seen it work for their kids. I'm sure Jonas will be fine...and one day you will understand him...and how CUTE are those shoes. I'm glad they make him more comfortable! :)

HUGS lady! Miss ya!

Jamie said...

Awesome! He is so darling, and I am glad that he has a fantastic program to help him. You are a fabulous mom!

Sherri Madson said...

Early interventions such as you are doing are so amazing! You are doing great things for your little man. I had a friend that had a child with some issues they weren't planning on.....she told me she had read a talk from a lady once.....they compared it to preparing for a journey to one place and finding out you were going someplace else. You might mourn for a moment that change of destination you had originally thought you were headed to..it it what you had planned...but then you find the wonders of the new place and find out you wouldn't have changed those plans for anything. I am sure it is hard to find your plans for your little guy might be different....but I am sure yo also realize you wouldn't change anything about the wonderful person he is. Love you!

Stefanie said...

He's so stinkin handsome! I'm glad you have schools and therapists there to help you out. My sister has two children with autism - a 12 yr old and 6 yr old. Jonas may not talk much now but one day he won't stop talking. I'm proud of you and all you do for him. You're amazing!!