Monday, November 3, 2008

Gettysburg, PA







On Saturday we decided to venture out and drive to Gettysburg. Devin wanted to see the History. I wanted to check out the outlet mall :) So we compromised. We went to the Gettysburg Visitor's center first. It was pretty cool, except to see all the good stuff you have to pay. It wasn't the money, it was that these days it's generally not worth the money to pay to see the cool things because Jonas always ends up getting tired or hungry and we have to leave. SO we decided to wait until we can bribe him with stuff and then go back. To see all the battlegrounds, you drive from place to place. Jonas also HATES the carseat, so we just went to one battleground. It was a good choice though. We did the Water-Mark trail. Again it was great weather, so we walked around the sites and then did some shopping later. It was a fun day, and we all came home worn out! I am excited to go back, but I am going to do some studying first so I know what I am seeing!
This picture doesn't do the fall colors, or the beautiful scenery justice. It was a very pretty area!
From the top of this tower, you can see over the battle-fields for miles and miles. The stairs up to the top were steep, and it was hard to see in the dark. The view was worth it, but my camera battery died just as we got to the top. I was so angry!
Devin carried Jonas in the carrier all day. Jonas LOVED it! (he usually hates it...must be because it was Daddy:) He even took naps in it. We would be walking along and I would look over and he would be asleep! He was a trooper at the History sights, I wish I could say the same about the outlet mall. It appears he not only looks like his dad, he hates shopping like his dad does too!!

This is at the visitors center. It has a map of all the battlegrounds. The history is amazing. There were a lot of lives lost, men that were never found and presumed dead. Without the battle of Gettysburg, we might not be the U.S.A. now. It was such a brutal battle. I am so glad I didn't live back then!

2 comments:

Leisha said...

Okay I just had the funniest conversation with Richard. I mentioned to him that you guys went to Gettysburg this last Saturday and he was confused because he thought you were still in Utah. I told him you live in Washington D.C.I told him you guys were moving, and that you had a baby when you did. He apparently had just chosen that precise moment to listen to me. He now is wondering why we haven’t gone and seen you guys yet. So just to let you know, were going to come see you guys soon. Now that Richard knows! Ha!

Brianne said...

I would love to go to Gettysburg. I love to read, watch and learn about past wars. It's so fascinating to me now, not the case when I was in school though.