Monday, May 4, 2009

Vermont

Devin and I decided to make the most of our last four weeks in the Boston area by really sightseeing. So this weekend we went to Vermont. It was so much fun! We mostly took it easy, relaxed and played with Heaman. He was a great little traveler. He slept until after nine both mornings we were there! (He made up for it by getting up at 7:30 this morning).


Our first stop was to tour the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory. If anyone knows Devin, they know he loves Ice Cream. He passed that down to Jonas-who love, love, loves Ice Cream! I love Jonas in this picture. You have to click on it to see his silly face, and I love the little chubby arm sticking through. The people behind us were laughing while we were taking the picture.
This is the infamous Green Bus. Ben & Jerry once tried to travel the 50 states giving away free scoops in this bus. It burned to the ground in Ohio. Guess they didn't make the 50 states!

Next Stop: The Trapp Family Resort. This was the "house" the Von Trapp Family (The Sound of Music) built when they came to America after WWII. I really wanted to go inside, but Jonas was sleeping and needed the rest, so we just drove around. It was HUGE-as you can see. (This is a bad picture). During the winter they have a snow shoe shack and you can take tours of the area via snow shoe. That sounded like fun! The area has a bunch of Villas-as they call them. They sleep about 30 people. It would be fun to stay there, but the cost for one night was almost $300.00. Our Marriott was good enough!! The view from up here was amazing. One of the best things about Vermont was all the green grass and the trees. It looked like spring everywhere we went. That's nice for a change!


Then it was off to an Apple Cider Mill. The have the Cider Press on sight so you can see them making it. It was Saturday, so they weren't working, but it was a really neat little store. We bought Maple Syrup, Apple Cider Donuts, and this fresh Apple Cider. Jonas thought it was pretty good too. It was a little too sweet for me. It burned your throat because it was so sweet.


This is a covered bridge like you would see in a Country Living Magazine. It was pretty neat, although I think Devin could have driven a bit faster over it. It looked really old. I was a little nervous about it's strength. There was a river running pretty swiftly below.


The highlight of our trip was taking Jonas swimming at the hotel. He LOVED it! He was mad that we had to hold him. He wanted to play all by himself. Looks like we will be spending lots of time in a pool this summer. I knew we should have stayed in Arizona!

Jonas in his new swimming suit.


The back float.


He was really happy I promise. He just didn't want to be held!

Our last stop was at The Hope Cemetery. The town is a granite mining/carving town and so the cemetery had some very interesting headstones. Soccer balls, race cars, figures of the person, head sculptures, hearts, pyramids....it was truly amazing! I want to be buried in a room like the one above. I hate the thoughts of being underground (even if I am dead!). This particular room only has one person housed here. He thought his family would join him, they were all cremated instead. The doors have glass in them so you can look inside, but don't worry you can't see anything scary. Not even the coffins. The are put in big "drawers"- for lack of a better word. The grounds keeper said for about $25,000 I could have one of these-in 1942-the year it was built. It's probably ten times that much now. Guess I better start saving! Anyone want join me?

It was a fun trip even though it's always nice to be back with your own things. Next weekend...New York City!! :)

9 comments:

Cara said...

Sometimes our thinking is so much alike it scares me! I don't want to be underground either, so I will start saving all my pennies to be put in a drawer by you. Let's make a pact that we'll both be buried in our slips. Again, how cute is Jonas? So stinkin' cute it hurts my heart! I am missing you so much right now! I love you!

Aleese and Scott said...

Looks like you have done so many fun things! I LOVE Jonas in his swimming suit he is such a cute little guy! Also need I mention how excited I am for you to live next door!! CAN'T WAIT!

Andrea said...

How fun!! you guy's get to do a lot of exciting things back there!!
I wish you would have been with your family..it's been SO long since i've seen you :) Take care!

The Burrough 7 said...

I must admit, I am soo envious of all the traveling you guys get to do. I love all the pictures and fun things you guys do. Jonas in his swimming suit was TOOO cute!!
-and you know I haven't given much thought to were I'd wanna be buried but I like your thinking.-
You guys are going to have a lot of fun in NYC. Time square is incredible!!

Tranchell Family said...

I don't think you should have any more kids, Jonas is not really that cute! When is the next one coming??? We miss you tons and wish we could have made our Utah trips work out together!

Tasha said...

What a fun trip! I thinks it is great all the sight seeing you guys are doing! I want that jug of fresh apple cider it looks good...even though you said it was super sweet! I wish we would've saw more while living in Missouri. WE've only seen Nauvoo, Farr West & St. Louis, but I guess we also have a limited budget being students! Oh well what we have seen has been FUN!

Moosman Fam said...

Thanks so much for inviting me to see your blog! I love all the cute pictures! Cute family! I'm jealous you got to see Wicked! I really want to see it! Glad we can keep in touch through our blogs!

melanie said...

Exploring with one kids is the way. to. go. I love all your adventures and was quite excited to see the VonTrapp house. Hello, did you sing as you drove past? No doubt I would have. Can't wait to see what else you do in the next couple weeks. Live it up!

JanaLee said...

Looks like you all had so much fun...I'm sure it has been fun living on the East side of the states. I'd like to go there someday. Jonas is getting cuter by the day I think! You and Devin are such a cute couple it's no wonder that Jonas is darling!! Love you!!!